Sunday, February 1, 2009

Singapore: The start

Ahh! This is life!! I’m biting in to my first ever Ben & Jerry’s as I’m typing this out.. and the best part is that I simply took it out of the freezer kept in the office floor of the Singapore office that I am in right now. After all, Ben & Jerry’s is a product of Unilever itself, and this Singapore office is just totally rocking!
Apart from the Ben & Jerry’s, today was a day of many other firsts. The biggest of them being my first ever time out of India. I was too caught up in the process of reaching my hotel and everything in the morning, that I just never let the feeling sink in. Then, when I was just walking up to office with Joban from the hotel and I passed by a Starbucks café, I suddenly felt like screaming “I’m in Singapore!!”
Such a great feeling to be here. Came in a Jet Airways flight that had some of the most awesome in-flight entertainment. The thing kept me awake almost the entire flight. I left Bombay at 11p.m after waiting at the airport since nearly 8, and in spite of my body craving sleep so bad because I hadn’t slept the previous day out of sheer excitement of this journey, I just couldn’t give in and ended up watching nearly 2 whole movies. One an English movie that Sin was ranting about called Vicky Christina Barcelona and another a Tamil Movie called Dhoom Dham. Ya, as predicted, I couldn’t really sit past the second one and ended up dozing off and catching a few precious hours of sleep. Soon we landed, and I left behind an immigration form that the hostesses gave me back in the plane itself. So I couldn’t really get out soon, and had to fill up another form at the airport lobby. After I finally got out, I went to a DFS along with Vibhor who traveled with me, and bought a JD, some beers and a local whisky whose name I forget. We then got out, and entered a Kia car! I couldn’t believe I was in a Kia, an automatically driven vehicle that I have never even seen before! Of course, it wasn’t any great car, but it was different. But then, so were almost every car on the road. I was almost sticking my head out like a little puppy looking at all the different cars. Could never believe there were so many different types of BMW’s, Mercs, Volvo\s and Hyundai’s. man, there were a lot of Hyundai's!
We reached UE square. The place where our hotel and office is, checked in to my hotel, which I barely got to really check out coz I had to rush to office as Joban was waiting for me and I wanted to go along with him in spite of the lack of sleep as I wanted to figure out the way to office with him. Didn’t mind it much, coz I’m gonna be here for another 6 weeks and have plenty of time to sink in my new home. From what I remember though, it had an access card to enter, a fully automatic washing machine in the kitchen, a bath tub in the rest room and a huge flat screen TV with DVD player and the works in the living room.
Cant wait to go and check it out again now. And that is exactly what I’m gonna do. My Ben & Jerry’s is almost over and its time I gave my body some deserving rest! A rest that I only need so that I can be up and kicking to go out at night. Singapore, here I come!!

No comments: